Discover how your pool can help you get into shape with these fun and easy pool exercises. Get moving!
As a pool owner, you spend a lot of time keeping your pool water in tip-top shape. Now it’s your turn to jump in and use your pool to help you get into top shape with these easy pool exercises.
Did you know you can burn three times the calories in water than on land, and the more you weigh, the more calories you burn? And, there is no need for weights, bands, pedals or pulls—water provides 1,000 times more resistance than air.* It’s true, so let’s dive into our list of easy ways to sneak in more movement.
- Grab the kids or grandkids and play a game of Marco Polo. You can burn 400 calories in 30 minutes.
- Take a leisurely swim; you can burn up to 500 calories an hour.
Tread water; you can burn up to 11 calories per minute.
- When was the last time you worked on perfecting your cannonball jump? Doing so can help you burn up to 200 calories an hour.
- Do some water walking! Walking in water requires more effort than walking on land. The resistance from the water can strengthen your muscles, boost your cardio and help you burn more calories.
- No special gear is required -- goggles, a kick board and a pool noodle are optional.
- Swimming works out all the large muscle groups – strengthens the heart and lungs, and tones triceps, back, chest, stomach, thighs, hamstrings and lower legs.
- Water’s buoyancy decreases stress on the body and increases flexibility.
- Swimming releases endorphins, a hormone in your brain that can make you feel happier and more positive.
- Water workouts can improve balance.
- Swimming can help reduce inflammation and insulin resistance in the brain, which encourages new brain cell growth and help you to think more effectively.**
At Pentair, we help keep your water in great shape so you can be too. Get out there and use your pool to get moving!
* Aqua for Balance, Resistance and Viscosity
** The Conversation, Swimming Gives Your Brain a Boost – But Scientists Don’t Know Yet Why it’s Better Than Other Aerobic Activities
Healthline, Do You Really Burn More Calories While Standing?
Precor, WHAT SUMMER OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES BURN THE MOST CALORIES?
New York Times, May 2022, Make Swimming Your Summer Work Out
Mayo Clinic Health System, Aquatic exercise: Gentle on your bones, joints and muscles
WebMD, Exercise and Depression
Just Swim, How Swimming Helps You Stay Younger for Longer