Water-Based Home Maintenance Checklist
You get those sweats on, jot down your to-do list, pump up your favorite playlist, and get to work on your yearly deep clean. You’re dusting every surface, cleaning the windows, checking out the roof, weeding the side yard — everything is polished, trimmed, and rejuvenated.
But what about your water?
Home maintenance tips for summer, spring, or fall wouldn’t be complete without a breakdown of the necessary plumbing and water-based appliance maintenance. Don’t wait until there’s a funky odor in your water to investigate. At Pentair, we use our unrivaled expertise to help you move, improve and enjoy water throughout your home. Spend some time going through our water-based home maintenance tips for new homeowners and current residents alike.
Perform a leak check
- All hands on deck! Inspect your toilets, faucets, and showerheads for leaks. Note what your water meter reads before you go to bed, and check to see if the measurement is the same in the morning.
- Replace worn rubber washers in sinks and faucets, and try installing a new cistern flapper if your toilet seems to be leaking. Don’t forget to inspect the toilet bowl for cracks and leaks.
Clean faucet traps
- Mineral deposits and debris can collect inside your faucet traps and showerheads, especially if you have hard water. This issue impairs your water flow — that’s a no-go!
- Unscrew the end of your faucets and remove the trap from the faucet tip. Flush the trap with plenty of water before you replace it.
- Unscrew your showerheads and soak them overnight in vinegar. Use a small brush to scrub away debris after soaking.
- Do all of your drains have strainers? Strainers will prevent hair, soap scum, and debris from clogging your pipes.
Test your sump pump
- Does your home have a sump pump? Test that it’s working properly by pouring a full bucket of water into the sump pit. The pump should turn on if it’s operational. Once it does, remove the water and turn it off.
Inspect your supply hoses
- Examine the supply hoses attached to your dishwasher, ice maker, and washing machine to check for leaks, bulges, or tears. If possible, replace old hoses in need of repair with hoses made of stainless steel that can resist water bursts.
Replace your water filters
- Water treatment solutions help you maintain great-tasting, refreshing water with little maintenance. All that’s required is a water filter replacement once the filters are full. Some filters should be replaced every six to nine months, while others will last as long as five years.
- For example, if you install a Whole House Water Filter System, you should replace the sediment filter every six to nine months and the filtration media once every five years. It’s worth noting, however, that all water filters may have different guidelines for the frequency of change. Be sure to check out the owner’s manual for optimal filter change timing recommendations.
- Pro Tip: Did you know, Pentair whole house water filters can reduce chlorine levels in your water by up to 97%?
Home maintenance tips for new homeowners
- Are you moving into your first home? Conduct a thorough inspection of your plumbing, appliances, and fixtures before you make any major life decisions. Perform a leak check, look at the sump pump, examine the supply hoses, and check out the appliances.
- Run the faucets and showerheads. How is the water pressure? Have a home inspection professional weigh in before you sign on the dotted line.
- Take some time to read over your insurance policy — what type of damage is covered? Nothing can put a damper on a new home purchase like finding out the plumbing is leaking throughout the property.
- Taking time to perform these routine maintenance steps at the start of your homeownership will set you up for a long, happy residence in your new abode. Once all the boxes are moved in, ensure your family is drinking trusted water by turning to our line of residential water solutions.
Pentair Honored for Global Sustainability
09.06.2022Pentair was recently recognized by Business Intelligence Group with its Sustainability Leadership Award, highlighting organizations that have made sustainability an integral part of their business practice or overall mission.
Get Wise About Water Quality
08.31.2022Water is the key to every refreshing sip, nourishing meal and thriving city center in the world. Read how Pentair works to deliver great tasting, higher quality water for every setting.
Combating Climate Change by Transforming Waste into Value
08.29.2022Pentair provides carbon capture and biogas upgrading solutions to help its partners reach their environmental and GHG reduction goals.